Teeth are continually shifting and changing, so it’s important to preserve your hard-earned results after braces. A retainer for teeth is a simple way to keep your beautiful smile permanently straight!
Teeth Retainer in St. Augustine, FL
When we remove your braces or Invisalign, the retention stage of treatment begins. A retainer after braces will save you from needing orthodontic retreatment down the road. Schedule an appointment with our St. Augustine, FL, orthodontist today! Also serving Nocatee and St. Johns, FL.
Types of Retainers
There are three types of retainers. You and Dr. Henry can decide together which kind is right for you.
Hawley Retainers | Made of metal and acrylic
Essix Retainers | Made of clear plastic like Invisalign braces
Permanent Retainers | Glued to the back of the teeth
We provide most patients with Hawley or Essix retainers.
Permanent retainers are the better choice for those patients who want to wear their retainer without a second thought. There’s no need to remove and remember permanent retainers. However, removable retainers can be easier to floss and clean.
Guidelines for your Retainer After Braces
Your teeth retainer can be an easy one-time investment that will preserve your healthy smile for the rest of your life. To ensure that your retainer after braces lasts, follow the suggestions we have listed below.
- Adhere to the instructions given to you by Dr. Henry. He will probably suggest that you wear your retainer after braces full-time for a few weeks. After the recommended time period, you can begin wearing your retainer for teeth only at night.
- Clean your teeth retainer once per day with a toothpaste and toothbrush. You may also want to soak your retainer in denture cleaner once in awhile to ensure freshness.
- When you are not wearing your retainer for teeth, place it safely in its case. Each time you take your retainer out to wear it, brush it first.
- Remove your teeth retainer before brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Handle the retainer carefully, because it can break easily. If you break or lose your retainer for teeth, give our office a call.
- Do not put your retainer for teeth in hot water or leave it in a hot environment. The plastic can melt and become warped to the point that it can no longer fit your teeth.
We create retainers that are easy to wear and maintain. You deserve a beautiful smile for a lifetime. To learn more, please contact us our St. Augustine, FL, orthodontist today! Also serving Nocatee and St. Johns, FL.